The MAPPINGS IV Code Archive
An astrophysical plasma modelling code.
Science and Programming:
Ralph Sutherland, Mike Dopita, David Nicholls, Brent Groves, Luc Binette, et al
Final MIV Version - Changed to MV (in development) in 2015Note, MAPPINGS V is now under development in 2015 and will be offcially released in later in the year, please consider MIV v4.2.8 as a provisional version until then. MAPPINGS IV contains significant updates from MAPPINGS III in almost every area, and MMAPPINGS III is now deprecated.
v4.2.8, October 29 2014Download mappings_IV(428).zip (91.9MB), Everything including stellar/agn atmospheres.
Download MIV(428).zip (6.0MB), Everything except stellar/agn atmospheres.
- 4.2.8: New abundance scheme: Base abundances, abundance offsets by species, and depeltion files to arrive as a final gas phase abundance. Designed to make it easier to explore element adjustments.
- 4.2.8: More unified abundance displays throughout, including in output files
- 4.2.8: old abn files are still supported, but a new format allows for more consistent treatment of log. linear and base 12 notations. Base 12 abundances are now allowed in abn files, with type 3 format. See abn files for more details. Old files have -ve values as logs, +ve as linear, type 1 are all log H = 0.00, type 2 are all linear H = 1.00, and type 3 is log H = 12
- 4.2.8: scripts will need to change as abundance changes go straight to prompt for file name.
- 4.2.8: Two photon emission revised. He like heavy two photon emission disabled, H like improved.
- 4.2.8: Depletion for C, N, O, Na, Mg, Al, Si, Cl, Ca and heavier elements used for dust creation, H, He, Ne and S adjustments do not affect the dust. Adjustments for these elements should be moved to offset files, leaving depletion files only for dust formation.
- 4.2.8: Minimum delta V for Bowen fluorescence reduced to 10km/s, 20km/s is still default.
- 4.2.8: Manual abundance code disabled, using files input only
- 4.2.8: New source options, working on support for CMFGEN files
- 4.2.8: Experimental WMBASIC library model interpolation
- 4.2.8: New source options, x-ray > 0.1keV intensity now listed
- 4.2.7: Full Teff interpolation for ATLAS9 and TLUSTY atmosphere grid, new photsou choices. Library stars can be any temperature within range limits.
- 4.2.7: Fixed cosmic reference He abundance bug
- 4.2.7: Changed standard air refractive index function to match the NIST ASD function precisely, used to convert Ritz wavelengths to observed air wavelengths for wavelengths longer than 2000 Angstroms. Older MAPPINGS code used the formula in AQ3, but it *also* contained a typo in AQ3, so technically it wasn't even the 1953 Edlen function. There are newer functions, but the NIST ASD uses the wide range Peck and Reeder 1972 function for 15C and 300ppm CO2 dry air, so MAPPINGS is adopting the same. Wavelengths of hydrogen lines and one [OII] line have changed at the 1.0e-6 level, requiring awk script updates.
- 4.2.6: Extended hydrogen spectrum to 15 lines per series, and increased upper density limit from Hummer/Storey data.
- 4.2.6: Generalised hydrogenic spectrum parameters to allow for easier future expansions.
- 4.2.6: Added temperature Upsilon splines to Cl III Cl IV Ar III and Ar IV and updated Aijs to better model Orion spectrum.
- 4.2.5 Fixed paths in make install script.
- 4.2.5 Fixed segmentation faults caused by new file naming code.
- 4.2.5 Added 34-level Fe III ion. Up to 378 transitions from UV to far IR
- 4.2.4s build 2, fixed minor script errors, cleaned xcode project file.
- 4.2.4 NEW: can optionally install globally so mappings can run outside lab/, in any location, without needing to duplicate the data and atmos directories. This is intended for use in the online server (s for server), but may be of general use to everyone.
- 4.2.4 Builds with ifort, gfortran, f2c
- 4.2.3 Detailed He I free-bound continuum added.
- 4.2.2 minor bug fixes, array overrun errors corrected.
- 4.2.1 Distribution directories and scripts cleaned up.
- 4.2.0 MAJOR rebuild requiring extensive testing.
- All New: accurate photoionisation cross sections, Verner et al sections, new heating and ionisation calculations.
- All New: photoionisation heating and Auger data
- All New: collisional ionisation, Dere/CHIANTI 2007 compilation, new evaluation code.
- All New: radiative recombination rates, VF, or Badnell, Dere et al CHIANTI 7.1 rates, new code
- All New: dielectronic recombination rates, Badnell, Dere et al CHIANTI 7.1 rates, new code
- All New: charge exchange data and bug fixes in chx code, Kingdon Stancil ORNL 2001 rates, new code
- Code can now handle up to 30 elements, all species z = 1-30, although only the standard 16 are enabled initially.
- New: Mg II 2798 is now a 4 level atom with T dependent Omegas and appears as a doublet
- New: ~3300 bin PHOTDAT includes constant width line bins from 1000-10000Å to help display optical UV spectra .sou and .nfn files more consistently. Higher upper limit in energy for standard models.
- All New: hydrogen recombination data as high precision direct numerical splines instead of parameterised fits for total and n=1 recombinaiton
- All New: accurate hydrogenic photoionisation cross section splines
- Removed old unused data files
- NORAD total recombination rates, optional, for C, N, O.
- Working (!) 49 level IR-Opt_UV FeII ion model, with optional 16 level fallback option
- General code cleanup and optimisation, significant speedup over 4.1.x series.
- Spectrum output in photn files have fewer 0.000 flux entries.
- New test scripts:P6 HII region model grid of 81 models, including extraction into columns in .csv file for plotting.
- GCC gfortran build option, ~20% faster. f2c is still default build.
- dats/ directory renamed data/ . All data files have .txt extension to aid editing.
- New optional expert 'data/switches.txt' data file to enable/disable different versions of code, allows code to run in legacy mode to reproduce earlier results using old data sets and routines.
- 4.1.5:Fixed bug in S4 that prevented shock model from running after input parameters are set.
- Added more AGN spectra to library and changed photsou code for expanded library, scripts will need editing.
- 4.1.4:Free-Bound hydrogenic continuum recomputed from scratch to < 1% for all frequencies, using Storey and Hummer subroutine, as used in Ercolano and Storey 2006, but from 1K - 10^8K to allow for scaled temperatures t/Z^2 where Z may be up to 26, and for up to 30 edges. An optional data file for just 10 edges is available, but performance increases are minor. Recombination to n = 1 is direct from photo-crossection, for n = 2 -- infinity using new code for hydrogentic species over 30 edges, and Mewe code for other species on just the n= 2 edge
- Prototype option for grain destruction (4.1.3k), adds one new prompt to dust setup, use N to keep old scripts compatible. Still being tested so don't use until is it is verfied.
- Improved photo- cross section A-Beta-s fits for H, He, C, N and O where large discrepancies compared to the Verner et al cross sections were found.
- An overhaul of all photoionisation cross sections, heating and Auger processes will be in v4.2 later in 2014.
- Update for v4.1.1
- in 4.1.2: Corrected bugs in new charge transfer code
- in 4.1.2: Improved stability and speed of hydrogen ionisation calculations
- in 4.1.1: Corrected He I photo cross section
- in 4.1.1: Added missing He ionising charge transfer reactions to new CHX system
- in 4.1.0: ***NEW*** P6 photoionisation model, to supersede P5 everywhere - new robust integration scheme, new radiative transfer
- in 4.1.0: ***IMPORTANT*** Case A-B calculations are now globally convergent, not step size dependent, affects all models
- in 4.1.0: ***IMPORTANT*** Fixed some long time radiative transfer bugs in resonance lines, esp He II 303, will affect all H Beta luminosities
- in 4.1.0: ***IMPORTANT*** Corrected H Collision rates, down by a factor of two, will affect low Z HII models, making them hotter
- in 4.1.0: New equilibrium ionisation and temperature convergence for all models
- in 4.1.0: New charge exchange data and code - important for OI, NII etc
- in 4.1.0: Various line level updates, esp [OI] 6300 and 6363 wavelengths, due to far IR corrections
- in 4.1.0: multi-level NeII atom, CII is now a 7 level atom
- in 4.1.0: Corrected bugs in converting CHIANTI 7.1 database collision strength type 1 splines, in some transitions
Optional Stellar/AGN Atmosphere LibraryDownload MIV_atmos(428).zip (81MB) Stellar atmospheres. Compatible with 4.2.8+.
(Unzip to create the atmos directory and move the atmos directory into the lab area if needed. Includes AGN atmospheres.)